Beware of Xylitol Poisoning in Pets

Have you ever heard of xylitol? It’s an artificial sugar used in many baked goods, candies, and gum, and it’s highly toxic to pets! Learn more below from a Greensboro, NC veterinarian.

Symptoms

Symptoms of xylitol poisoning can start to appear only 30 short minutes or so after initial ingestion. Symptoms include lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, coma, and—without treatment—even death.

Treatment

If you see or suspect that your pet has eaten a product that contains xylitol, rush your animal companion to the nearest veterinary emergency room. The stomach may need to be flushed, or activated charcoal may be administered to stop the poison from absorbing any further. From there, a pet might need supportive measures like fluid replacement or oxygen supplementation as they recover.

Preventing Poisoning

Prevent poisoning in the first place by tightly restricting your pet’s access to any and all sweet treats. Don’t leave such items out on countertops or the kitchen table—instead, keep them inside closed cabinets or the refrigerator so that pets can’t gain access.

Would you like more information on xylitol or other poisonous products for pets? We’re here to help! Contact your pet clinic Greensboro, NC today to learn more.