Chocolate Toxicity in Cats and Dogs

Chocolate of all types contains caffeine and a chemical called theobromine, neither of which are good for our pets. It’s one of the most dangerous pet poisons out there! Learn more below from a vet in Marietta, GA:

Symptoms

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning include uncoordinated movements, lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without treatment—seizures and even death. It’s important to get your pet quick medical attention if you see or suspect that they’ve ingested chocolate.

Treatment

Rush your pet to a local veterinary emergency room if they’ve ingested chocolate or a product containing chocolate. The stomach may need to be flushed, or activated charcoal may be administered to slow the toxin’s absorption in the body. As your pet recovers, measures like oxygen supplementation or fluid therapy might be needed until they return to full health.

Preventing Poisoning

Of course, it’s always better to prevent poisoning in the first place, rather than deal with it later. Fortunately, this is as simple as restricting your pet’s access to any and all chocolate treats. Store harmful foods in cabinets or the refrigerator so pets can’t get at them.

Want more information on chocolate toxicity in pets? Contact your Vet Clinic Marietta, GA.