NSAID Toxicity in Dogs and Cats

You probably have a few NSAIDs—non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs—in your medicine cabinet right now. They’re more commonly known as Advil, Motrin, and other common name-brand painkillers. Did you know that they can prove toxic to pets? Learn more here from vets Lafayette, LA.

Causes

NSAIDs block cyclooxygenase (COX) enzymes, which cause pain and inflammation in response to factors like an injury. When COX enzymes are inhibited, the patient feels less pain. Unfortunately, too much blockage, and problems like stomach-lining damage, reduced blood flow to the kidneys, and more can start to occur.

Symptoms

A pet who ingests too much of an NSAID may experience nausea, lethargy, vomiting or diarrhea with possible blood in the vomit or feces, increased urination and thirst, and—without prompt treatment—seizures, collapse, and even death.

Treatment and Prevention

A pet in the early stages of NSAID poisoning may need induced vomiting or a stomach lavage. For patients with kidney damage, fluid replacement or even blood transfusions may be needed. Prevent the problem entirely be keeping any and all medications locked away where pets can’t reach!

To learn more about NSAIDs and your pet, contact your animal hospital Lafayette, LA. We’re here for you!