Have you ever heard of xylitol? It’s a common pet poison—in fact, one of the most dangerous to be found anywhere. Below, your Coon Rapids, MN vet answers your most frequently asked questions regarding xylitol.
What is Xylitol, Exactly?
Xylitol is an artificial sugar used in many sweets, gum, and certain toothpastes. For humans, it’s touted for a lower calorie count and potential dental benefits compared to real sugar. For our pets, though, it’s a dangerous toxin!
What Are the Symptoms?
Symptoms of xylitol poisoning can include drooling, lethargy, vomiting, and—without treatment—collapse, seizures, or even death. If you see or suspect that your pet has ingested a product that contains the substance, rush them to the nearest veterinary emergency room.
What’s the Treatment?
Your pet’s stomach may need to be flushed, and activated charcoal may be given to stop the poison’s absorption. Many pets require fluid therapy, oxygen supplementation, and other methods to recovery fully.
Prevent xylitol poisoning by keeping all candies, gums, and other products that contain xylitol locked up in closed containers or cabinets. This way, your pet can’t get their paws on anything dangerous!
To learn more, call your veterinary clinic Coon Rapids, MN.