Tag Archives: Pet Clinic Westlake Village CA

Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs and Cats

Xylitol is one of the most common—and most harmful—pet toxins out there. It’s an artificial sugar substitute used in many candies, gums, and baked items. Learn all about the symptoms of and treatment for poisoning, as well as how to prevent poisoning, from your Westlake Village, CA vet:

Symptoms

Symptoms of xylitol poisoning usually manifest within 30 minutes of ingestion. They include restlessness, drooling, uncoordinated movements, vomiting, and diarrhea. Without prompt treatment, a pet may experience seizures or go into a coma. Death is even possible.

Treatment

Rush your pet to the closest veterinary emergency room if you see or suspect that your pet has ingested a product made with xylitol. Your pet may be given activated charcoal to slow the poison’s absorption, or the stomach may be flushed. Supportive measures like oxygen supplementation and fluid replacement will likely be necessary.

Prevention Tips

Obviously, it’s far easier to prevent xylitol poisoning than treat it after your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t. It’s as easy as preventing your pet from accessing candy, gum, and any other food containing xylitol! Store these foods where pets can’t reach.

Call your Pet Clinic Westlake Village, CA for more advice on pet toxins.