Are you aware that chocolate is one of the most common—and most dangerous—toxins out there for our four-legged friends? The trick is knowing what to look for if your pet does eat chocolate, and taking steps to prevent the problem in the first place. Learn more here from a vet in Indianapolis, IN:
Signs of Poisoning
Symptoms of chocolate poisoning in pets include lethargy, excessive drooling, diarrhea, vomiting, collapse, and worse if treatment isn’t administered. All types of chocolate can cause serious symptoms, including milk, dark, semi-sweet, white, and baking chocolate.
Rush your pet to the vet’s office if you see or suspect that they’ve ingested chocolate. Activated charcoal may be administered to slow the absorption of toxins in the stomach, or the stomach may be flushed. Many pets require fluid replacement, oxygen supplementation, or other supportive therapies as they recover.
Preventing poisoning by chocolate is as simple as restricting your pet’s access to any and all chocolate treats. Store all sweets inside closed containers or cabinets where pets cannot reach. Keep a close eye on sweets during parties or family gatherings.
For more information on chocolate poisoning and pets, call your veterinarian Indianapolis, IN.