Did you know that onions are a dangerous pet toxin? Our canine friends are the most likely to be harmed by onions, but that may be due to their indiscriminate tastes. Learn more about onion toxicity and your pet from an Aurora, CO veterinarian:
Why Are Onions Poisonous?
Onions, as well as related foods in the allium family like garlic, chives, scallions, and shallots, contain sulfur compounds that don’t agree with our animal companions. If your pet ingests an onion, symptoms like lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and worse may occur! In addition, symptoms may be delayed by hours or even days after initial ingestion.
What if My Pet Eats an Onion?
If you know or suspect that your pet has eaten an onion or related food, rush them to the nearest veterinary emergency room for treatment. The stomach may need to be flushed, or activated charcoal may be given to slow the toxin’s absorption. Your pet might need supportive measures like fluid therapy during recovery.
How Can I Prevent Poisoning?
Prevent onion poisoning by storing onions and similar foods in the cabinets or refrigerator where they belong. This way, pets don’t have access!
Call your vets Aurora, CO for more information.